Saturday 29 May 2010

RIP: Dennis Hopper



Dennis Hopper
17th May 1936 - 29th May 2010

"I've been sober now for 18 years. With all the drugs, psychedelics and narcotics I did, I was [really] an alcoholic. Honestly, I only used to do cocaine so I could sober up and drink more. My last five years of drinking was a nightmare. I was drinking a half-gallon of rum with a fifth of rum on the side, in case I ran out, 28 beers a day, and three grams of cocaine just to keep me moving around. And I thought I was doing fine because I wasn't crawling around drunk on the floor."

Today I just heard the news that "The Wildman of Hollywood" Dennis Hopper, sadly passed away, after losing his ongoing battle with prostate cancer.
A man who was not only notorious for his antics off screen, with legendry tales of drink and drugs consumption, which included him being banned from Australia. during the filming of "Mad Dog Morgan" (1976), but he was also a legend on screen aswell, being a highly skilled actor, director and writer, with his work including the ultimate biker movie "Easy Rider" (1969), aswell as memorable appearances in Blue Velvet (1986), Apocalypse Now (1979) and Speed (1994), earning a reputation for playing some of cinema's finest crazies.
He was finally reconised for his contribution to film, when he was awarded the 2,403th star on the "Hollywood Walk of Fame" on March 26th, he leaves behind a legacy like no other and I'm sure I speak for us all when I say he will be sorely missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...